On-line Application Form
Equal Opportunities Policy
Entry requirements, as stated by Cambridge ESOL, are as follows:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old by the end of the course.
- Applicants must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables to undertake the course.
- Applicants must have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to successfully complete the written assignments and the teaching practice
There is no formal academic entry requirement. It is, however, recommended that applicants should have formal qualifications which would allow entry into higher education in their own country.
The AKCENT International House Prague application process:
- Complete and send the application form.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 48 hours and you will be contacted with the result. This could be in one of three forms:
- You are invited to a selection interview at AKCENT International House Prague or a telephone interview; or
- We request additional information before your application can be taken further; or
- Your application is turned down.
and if your application is accepted…
- You will be interviewed, and informed at the end of the interview as to whether or not you are to be offered a place.
- You will be sent additional pre-course information.
The interview is a Cambridge ESOL regulation. The primary purpose is to ensure that you have the potential to comfortably pass the course (before you decide to invest the time and money. Interviews typically last 45–60 minutes.
Applicants within the Czech Republic will be interviewed at AKCENT International House Prague; applicants from outside the Czech Republic will be interviewed by telephone (if you are applying from outside the Czech Republic, but plan to visit and would like to be interviewed in Prague, please let us know when you make your application).
Telephone interviews are made at the applicant’s expense, and the applicant should make the call. Many applicants use Skype, which is perfectly acceptable and ensures that the cost is minimal. If you are unfamiliar with Skype, please ask us for information.
The interviewer (one of the course tutors) will ask questions related to your future plans, the content of your application, and some further questions similar to those on the application. You will have the chance to ask questions about the course, Prague, and anything else you would like to know. At the end of the interview you will be informed as to whether your application has been successful.
If the Cambridge CELTA is designed for those with no previous experience, why do we have interviews at all?
One important reason is for us to assess applicants‘ language awareness and potential (see points 2 and 3 under ‚entry requirements‘ above). Language awareness includes, among other things, the ability to identify and describe: meaning and differences in meaning; levels of formality; and the basic structure of a sentence. The questions we ask do not require previous teaching experience or advanced study of the English language, and we do not assume knowledge of linguistic terminology – although we would expect candidates to be familiar with basic terms such as ‚noun‘, ‚adjective‘ and ‚verb‘.
Perhaps the main aim is to make sure that we don’t offer a place to – and accept money from – someone who we feel does not have a good chance of passing the course.
If your interview is successful and you are offered a place in the course, you will be instructed on how to submit payment. If you are applying within six weeks of the course start date, payment will be required at that time to reserve your place. At this time, AKCENT International House Prague can receive payment via bank transfer. Feel free to contact us for more information or questions.
In the case of cancellation six weeks or more before the course starting date, 90% of the total fee will be refunded. With less than six weeks‘ notice, 50% of the total fee will be refunded. If cancellation occurs in the final ten working days before the starting date, no refund will be given.
However, in certain exceptional circumstances we will consider transferring the fees to another course but a 20% cancellation fee will be charged.
In the unlikely event of a course being cancelled the course and accommodation fees will be refunded.
AKCENT IH Prague CELTA and DELTA Equal Opportunities
The Teacher Training Centre of AKCENT IH Prague maintains an equal opportunities policy in relation to age, disability, gender, race, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
Acceptance onto training courses:
TTC of AKCENT IH Prague staff involved in the recruitment and selection of trainees will ensure the company’s recruitment and selection policy is adhered to and that:
- A carefully worded and objective trainee interview profile is produced for all potential candidates, outlining the essential skills, knowledge and experience and characteristics required by Cambridge ESOL.
- Suitably trained AKCENT IH Prague staff will judge eligibility for entry to all courses based solely on professionally and academically relevant criteria.
Disclosure of information relating to disability or other relevant factors:
Whilst legally there is no obligation for persons to disclose information pertaining to disability or other factors, AKCENT IH Prague respectfully requests that all applicants disclose any disability or other health factor which might otherwise foreseeably contribute to the applicant being:
- At risk of harm or injury to self or others whilst attending a course
- At risk of compromising the successful outcome or completion of the course
- At risk of exposure to any other otherwise detrimental outcome or event.
All information received is treated in absolute confidence, and will not count in any way against the application nor against the candidate during the course.