WHAT IS CELTA?
WHO IS IT FOR?
WHY CELTA WITH AKCENT IH PRAGUE?
What is the CELTA?
The Cambridge English Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults - CELTA - is the original „TEFL" course and the global industry standard in English teaching. It provides the initial training leading to the Cambridge English Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) needed for new teachers to enter the industry and an important addition for existing teachers who wish to build on their existing skills.
CELTA enables you to obtain your first English teaching position or to improve on your current teaching situation. The course is highly regarded by employers around the world as it provides sound training and a strong basis from which one can continue to develop into a highly effective teacher of English. Indeed, in many parts of the world, including Prague, employers simply won't consider applicants who have not passed the CELTA.
Who is it for?
Despite being created for those with no experience or formal training, many of our participants choose to take the course to add to their existing university teaching qualifications; either to learn more modern classroom methods or to be coached and observed by experienced, Cambridge certified, teacher trainers. As a result, the course is normally a great opportunity to share and learn from a wide variety of professional and cultural backgrounds and experience.
The 3 different course formats we offer at Akcent IH Prague are assessed and moderated according to the same criteria and lead to exactly the same qualification and certificate. The course consists of a minimum of 120 contact hours, with a further 80 hours required for assignments and lesson planning.
||4 weeks (contact time Mon-Fri)|
Suitable for people who can devote a month to a very full-time course. You can expect to immerse into the course and benefit fully if you make sure that the course is your sole area of attention.
|Part-time||10 Weeks (contact time every Friday and Saturday)|
This format is suitable for those who prefer a slower pace and time to digest new information. It is also suitable for people who work. Please bear in mind that the two course days are demanding and would need to be kept completely free.
20 weeks (contact time every Thursday)
This course is for busy people who are only able to organise their schedule so that they can have one day a week free.
Teaching practice is a significant part of the course, and is valued the most highly by our course participants. The teaching practice includes guided preparation, analysis and reflection on the lesson. Each trainee teaches for a total of eight 45-minute lessons with two groups of students at two different levels of ability. Teaching practice is organised in small groups of 5-6 trainees who also observe each other. Each teaching practice session is followed by a group feedback session, led by your course tutor, as well as a detailed, personalised written feedback and assessment of each lesson. In addition to feedback, there are one-on-one tutorials to monitor and discuss progress through the course.
Seminars, workshops and observation of experienced teachers take up approximately half of the course. These are interactive, highly informative and very closely linked with classroom teaching. Areas include:
- Classroom techniques: language clarification, practice, checking learning, error analysis, correction, classroom management, group work and pair work
- Teaching and learning the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing
- The English language: linguistic form, function, meaning and phonology
- Principled lesson planning of different types of lessons, course planning
- Different learning and teaching styles at adult level, adult learners‘ motivations and learning styles
- The evaluation and use of published and non-published resources and materials along with learning how to adapt authentic materials into concrete learning tools
CELTA is awarded to candidates who have completed the course and who have met the assessment criteria for lesson planning, teaching and for written assignments. The outcome of the course is decided on a continuous assessment basis, there is no final examination. The majority of candidates receive a Pass grade and it is the grade employers will normally expect. The grades Pass B and Pass A are available to those who consistently exceed the Cambridge English assessment criteria.
The course tutors and staff are available to provide a great deal of useful job and career advice during and after the CELTA course. This includes:
- A 90-minute session dedicated to job searching, CV writing, and finding the right schoolsAn up-to-date job board
- Continued email support for three months after course
While we try our best to assist trainees in their job search, it is our policy to never “guarantee” jobs to trainees as we feel this is the wrong approach. If someone does not complete the course requirements, we would not feel comfortable placing them in a position. On the other hand, a number of successful trainees in the past have been employed by AKCENT IH Prague and some of those have gone on to higher things!
Based on previous experience, the vast majority of those who successfully complete the CELTA course have very little difficulty finding a job and we are committed to preparing each student to find and land the job that is best for them.
Before you start filling out the on-line application, please check you meet the following criteria:
- Are you 18 or over?
- Do you have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education?
- Is your English good enough to teach at a range of levels? You need a CEFR Level between C1 and C2 or above (IELTS 7.5+)
If you do not have formal educational qualifications at the level indicated above, we may still accept you provided that you can demonstrate you are likely to successfully complete the course.
- CELTA is the most internationally recognised TEFL certificate in the world
- Designed and closely moderated by Cambridge English Language Assessment
- Practical, hands-on teaching experience and feedback
- Highly qualified, experienced and regularly standardised course tutors
- Low student-trainer ratio
- Great post-course support, including jobs vacancies
- External body for complaints
Why CELTA with AKCENT IH Prague?
- A member of the International House network of more than 130 schools in 35 countries
- Prague’s major language school able to offer teaching posts to successful CELTA graduates
- Over 20 years of training experience
- Permanent team of trainers
- Quiet residential area only 10 minutes by public transport to the city centre
- Good-standard and affordable accommodation close to school and shops
- Further professional development courses offered at a reduced price: The Cambridge DELTA, IH CYLT, IH LAC, BA in EFL programme